NEW ERA FOR TEACHERS AS BUHARI APPROVES SPECIAL SALARY SCALE, INCREASES SERVICE YEARS TO 40
By Kayode Olawuni
The Federal Government has approved a special salary structure for all teachers in the country. This was disclosed at the occasion of this year's edition of the World Teachers Day celebrations held at Eagle Square, Abuja today Monday 5th of October, 2020.
Represented by the minister of education, Prof. Adamu Adamu, President Buhari asserted that the reviewed salary scale for the teachers is geared towards motivating them for greater productivity and effectiness.
This is in addition to the extension of the service years of the teachers from 35 to 40 years announced by the education minister at the occasion as approved by Mr. President.
The event also featured the conferment of awards of excellence to deserving teachers. Details of the new national teaching policy is as follows:
- Establishment of a special salary scale.
- Retirement by age is now 65.
- Retirement by service is now 40.
- Rural allowance to be provided
- Increase in science allowance.
- Peculiar allowance.
- Automatic admission and tuition free for kids of teachers at their place of work.
- Automatic recruitments of B.Ed graduating students.
- Bachelor of Education students are to enjoy stipends or education special allowance.
- Education students in colleges and universities are to enjoy special bursary awards.
- TETFund will now be used to fund Teaching practices.
- Enhanced entry for graduating students into service.
- Special Teachers Pension Scheme to be established.